According to CAMPOST, the body in charge of this service in Cameroon, the subscription and renewal rates differ depending on the city or region
The creation and operation of a post box in Cameroon are yet to be discovered to the general public. Owning a personal mailbox in Cameroon remains a luxury and is considered a privilege reserved for a specific bourgeois class, which even, moreover, does not boast.
However, this instrument is necessary for every citizen because it allows its holder to have a legal address where his mail is delivered; in fact, it is the extension of your home into an office.
The universality of the address, flexibility, ease of access, security, and confidentiality are the advantages of the post office box, which, unfortunately, faces serious competition in the current digital ecosystem.
Cost of a Post Box in Cameroon
According to CAMPOST, the body in charge of this service in Cameroon, the subscription and renewal rates differ depending on the city or region:
- Subscription: 15,000 CFA francs for Yaoundé and Douala for individuals.
- 35,000 CFA francs for legal persons.
- 12,500 CFA francs for physical persons and 30,000 CFA francs for legal persons about renewal.
- In Bafousam, Bamenda, Bertoua, Buea, Ebolowa, Garoua, Maroua, Ngaoundéré, Kribi, Limbé, Dschang, Kumba, Edea, Nkongsamba, the subscription amounts to 12,500 CFA francs for natural persons and 30,000 for legal persons and the renewal at 10,000 CFA francs, for 25,000 for legal persons.
- The other localities are set at 10,000 CFA francs for natural persons and 25,000 CFA francs for legal persons.
Requirements to Get a Post Box in Cameroon (PO Box)
Here are the conditions to be met to obtain a post office box:
Photocopy of a national identity card, passport, or residency card.
- Supporting documents of legal existence, the act of appointment of the legal representative, and identification document of the legal representative.
- To this is added a set of associated services such as the optional subscription certificate for natural persons and compulsory for legal persons (2000 CFA francs per year), SMS alert (7500 CFA francs/year), unique number (10,000 CFA francs/year), forwarding (5,000 CFA francs for 06 months), anonymity (10,000 CFA francs/year), additional key (2,000 CFA francs), lock replacement (invoice of 10,000 CFA francs) and finally penalties late (70,000 CFA francs payable outside the due date from March 1 to May 31).
The time may have come to rethink it to make it more accessible to the ordinary citizen who should know that a post office box has the following characteristics: recessed metal box, lock and keys provided by the operator, confidentiality of the mail received, and legal recognition by the tax and judicial administration.